Thursday, January 1, 2015

new year, 2015

(photo credit: Jesse W. Carrington)


To look backward for a while is to refresh the eye, to restore it, and to render it the more fit for its prime function of looking forward.
- Margaret F. Barber

Let's pause for a moment and reflect on 2014... 

Ups & downs? Successes & failures? Easy or hard lessons learned? Growth in areas of physicality, mentality, spirituality, relational? Goals met? Dreams realized? Life milestones? Beliefs solidified or shaken? Bucket-list items checked or created/added?

2014, looking back for me, without first replaying it, seemed like a quiet year. But I stopped to think about it. 

Lessons learned on my 2014:

Physicality: shoulder surgery; new right shoulder; 6 months sedentary lifestyle; back on cycling, running, swimming, backpacking; qualified for Boston marathon '16; got a personal trainer; remembering my ol' love for running

Mentality: battling winter & post-surgery depression; working toward letting go of what people think about me, focusing more on doing the right thing; inspired by book "Packing Light" by Ally Vesterfelt; realizing dreams of passion for the outdoors; certified Wilderness 1st Responder & organized a trip to the Pac NW

Spirituality: feeling back-peddled because of decreased frequency of prayers, religious-involvement, & solitary time with God; developing honest standards for what I'm convicted of and what is right, thus not worshipping my idol of people-pleasing and saving-face by being pretentious

Relational: was an emotional roller-coaster upon discovering my trend of seeking friendships on basis of sucking attention from them; reestablishing friendships on sincere grounds of loving them for who they are (good, bad, everything -- LOVE), not what they give me; my dear brother Sammy and his beloved wife Chelsey got married in May; Jesse and I begin dating in July -- learning invaluable, rich lessons of love, respect, community, family, fun, & communication

My most treasured lessons of last year: Be present. Slow down. Live in the moment. Forgiveness is freeing (grudges enslave).


May your reflection of 2014 happen, enlighten, encourage, inspire.

Here's to a great year and life to the fullest in your year to come. 

Happy new year, your 2015!

1 comment:

  1. Cool, Allison! ... You're a deep thinker. I stumbled across your blog by accident, here, but I'm glad I did ... Please say hello to Jesse and the gang. -C

    ReplyDelete