Tuesday, August 25, 2015

sugar-free energy gel


Launching the first-of-hopefully-many experiments in "real food for fuel" recipes. This time: energy gels / goo. By real, I mean edible materials that people would normally not turn to a consistency of a soft, pulpy mass unless directed for specific dietary means.

For a while now, I've been convicted to minimalize sugar intake. Thus, ingredients I use will try their best to be sweet by way of either honey, brown rice malt syrup and fruits. Read-along and determine for yourself if you'd like to join me in food-processing adventures.

Servings: makes 2 cups

Ingredients:
• 1/2 cup water
• 2 T chia seeds
• 6 dates (get the pit out)
• 1/4 cup brown rice malt syrup
• 2 tsps salt
• 1/2 banana (I felt like eating the other 1/2)
• optional: almond or peanut butter, dried or fresh fruits (We're in experimental mode. Next time, I'm goin cray & adding frozen berries)

Directions:
1. Soak chia seeds in the water for about 5-10 minutes (I was too excited & could only wait 5).
2. Pour mix into food processor. Add everything else; blend until you get a saucy substance.
3. Place into some sort of container (I used Goob Toobs) & refrigerate until use. Hoping to use one of these on my next long run.

Enjoy!
Post how this works out for you and ideas you have to modify these gooey treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment